Great news keeps rolling in from religious allies across the country. Members of ALEPH, the Alliance for Jewish Renewal, have joined their voices to the growing chorus of emails urging McDonald’s to work with the CIW to improve wages and working conditions in the fields. Other ALEPH members are educating their synagogues about the CIW’s campaign and sending postcards far and wide.Meanwhile, today in Immokalee, the CIW hosted a visit from Bishop Timothy W. Whitaker (left, middle) of the Florida Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church. Bishop Whitaker oversees 745 Methodist churches and nearly 325,000 Methodists in all of Florida. He gave a very warm message of solidarity on the CIW’s community radio station Radio Conciencia (on right, with Francisca Cortez of the CIW), relating how he came to learn about farm labor conditions, the CIW’s work to improve those conditions, and how Florida Methodists can support the CIW’s struggle. Bishop Whitaker told of how he came from Virginia’s Eastern Shore and has seen tomato pickers working there and how hard the work is, and how that experience gave him a particular interest in improving conditions for tomato pickers up and down the East Cost. The United Methodist Church endorsed the Taco Bell boycott. And, of course, don’t forget about the Sojourners Magazine E-Action Alert, where you can send a strong message to McD’s CEO Jim Skinner telling him to work with the CIW now for fair wages and working conditions for the farmworkers who pick tomatoes for McDonald’s. If you haven’t sent your email yet, do it now
- Take Action
RELIGIOUS SUPPORT FOR FAIR FOOD CONTINUES TO GROW!September 12th, 2006
CAMPAIGN FOR FAIR FOOD
What they're saying about the McDonald's Victory:
Former US Pres. and Nobel Laureate Jimmy Carter:
"This is a clear and welcome example of positive industry partnership. It demonstrates also McDonald’s leadership in social responsibility and CIW’s importance as a voice for farmworker rights. I encourage others to now follow the lead of McDonald’s and Taco Bell to achieve the much needed change throughout the entire Florida-based tomato industry."
Kerry Kennedy, RFK Memorial Center for Human Rights:
"Human rights are held by all persons equally, universally, and forever. Corporations must realize these rights are indivisible and interdependent. Without these rights slavery, poverty and abuse will continue in America’s retail food industry, tainting the salads and sandwiches of those who do not stand up for human dignity. Congratulations to the Coalition of Immokalee Workers and to McDonald’s for their historic accomplishment, setting the standards for human rights in the retail food industry."
United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS):
"Congratulations to the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) and the Student Farmworker Alliance (SFA) for showing the fast food industry what worker, student, and community power is! Taco Bell felt it and now McDonalds, so watch out Burger King."
- “Farmworker Freedom March”
- Photo Report: Subway Protests in Lawndale, CA
- How about a side order of human rights?
- Louisville, KY, Fair Food activists take to the streets!
- BUT HE HAS NOTHING ON
- University Professors’ Letter to Chipotle
- BISHOP JOHN NEVINS, CIW MEMBERS, AND ALLIES GATHER IN IMMOKALEE FOR EMOTIONAL DAY OF CELEBRATION!
- BURGER KING’S SILENCE ON EXPLOITATION IN SUPPLY CHAIN DRAWS INCREASING SCRUTINY!
- Sample letters you can send to the CEOs of McDonald’s, Subway, and Burger King asking them to follow Taco Bell’s lead, meet with the CIW, and move now to address human rights violations in Florida’s tomato fields:
- CHICAGO LABOR JOINS THE FIGHT!
- IMMOKALEE CELEBRATES THREE YEARS OF RADIO CONCIENCIA!…
- MORE GREAT ENDORSEMENT NEWS: THE UNITED STUDENTS FORFAIR TRADE (USFT) HAS ENDORSED THE AFF!…
- HUGE ENDORSEMENT NEWS FROM METHODIST ALLIES!
- ’06: Students take on McD’s
- REALLY?… THEN LET’S TALK ABOUT THE SWEATSHOP TOMATOES IN YOUR BURRITOS!..
- Notre Dame students visit their local arches…
- McDonald’s Immokalee Letter Delivery
- WORKERS FOR McD’S SUPPLIER Ag-MART FOUND LIVING IN “CROWDED, SQUALID HOUSING”
- MOTHER JONES MAGAZINE NAMES TACO BELL BOYCOTT CAMPUS ACTIVISM “VICTORY OF THE YEAR”
- STUDENT/FARMWORKER ALLIANCE HOLDS 2006 “ENCUENTRO,” ANNOUNCES NATIONWIDE DAYS OF ACTION, 10/27-28!
COALITION OF IMMOKALEE WORKERS
P.O. Box 603
Immokalee, FL 34143
Phone: (239) 657-8311
Fax: (239) 657-5055
Email: workers (at) ciw-online.org